16 February 2021
On behalf of the Council for Malaysian Society of Association Executives (MSAE), I hope it is not too late to wish you Happy Chinese New Year and Happy New Year 2021. May this year lead us on the path of recovery and return to normalcy.
2020 has been a challenging year to everyone and every association. As leaders and executives of our respective associations, it is our responsibility to navigate our association though the turbulence caused by the COVID-19 pandemic.
In August last year, MSAE carried out a survey on Impact of COVID-19 to Associations in Malaysia to find out how well the associations in Malaysia are coping with the impact from the COVID-19 pandemic. Thank you to all our members who participated in the survey. We subsequently shared the results of the survey at a webinar, MSAE’s very first, held on 1st December. From the survey, I’m pleased to discover that, despite grave challenges, most of us are able to steer our respective associations into adopting to the new normal. We are able to use technology to our advantage, in bringing value to our members. Adoption to the new normal is vital for any association to survive this pandemic. For those who missed our webinar, you may watch it from this link https://www.mymsae.org.my/event/msae-webinar-associations-adopting-the-new-normal-challenges-and-opportunities/.
In line with the following objectives, MySAE offers support to its members’ transition towards a new normal and sustainability of our respective associations;
- To advance, improve, promote, and advise on the professionalism of managing associations.
- To accord networking opportunities for those involved in managing associations to exchange their expertise, experience, knowledge, and information through meetings, forums, seminars, workshops, exhibitions, and related activities at local, national, regional and international level.
- To conduct education and training for those involved in managing associations aimed at raising their knowledge, service quality, administration skills, management techniques and operational standards to ensure professionalism.
- To establish the Association as a source for information in the field of managing associations.
- To engage with relevant stakeholders for the benefit of the members of the Association.
I am indeed fortunate to have the following dynamic Council Members who were elected at the 2nd Annual General Meeting held on 23rd July 2020;
- Dr. Lydia Abdul Latif – Vice President
- Rosman Hamzah – Hon. Secretary
- Evelyn Lo – Hon. Asst. Secretary
- James Selva – Hon. Treasurer
- Dr. Nazirah Hasnan – Council Member
- Datuk Dr. Raj Abdul Karim – Council Member
- Evelyn Cheong – Council Member
- Tan Mei Phing – Council Member
The Council for the term 2020/2022 commit to provide the best services to all of you as members of MSAE.
As we move forward into 2021, we strive to bring you, our members, engagements and programs of benefit. These activities will be organised via the following Pillar Committees:
- Advocacy - led by Datuk Dr. Raj Abdul Karim
- Professional Development - led by Tan Mei Phing
- Membership & Advisory Services - led by Dr. Lydia Abdul Latif
- Marketing & Communications - Led by James Selva
We invite members to volunteer and join any of the above committee and participate in our activities.
Some of the activities being planned for 2021 are as follows:
- Engagement with Registry of Societies (ROS)
- Quarterly webinar
- Learning and networking events
Do share your ideas on other programmes that MSAE should embark on this year.
We are also keen to hear what is your expectation of MSAE are for 2021 and how we can further improve; to deliver the values that you are expecting.
With that, we wish you and your respective association the best for 2021 and together we recover towards normalcy. And to those celebrating, we wish you a happy and prosperous lunar new year.
Stay safe and do support our upcoming activities.
MALAYSIAN SOCIETY OF ASSOCIATION EXECUTIVES